Sunday, November 4, 2012

Get Out of the Food Rut

I forgot to mention that I recently watched "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix as it was recommended from a friend of mine who is a vegan. It was informative and went in line with what I was already reading and researching about but was still a good documentary. I recommend it!

Also, I have become an avid fan of the Chocolate Covered Kate blog. One simple thing that I have learned is that I could use agave nectur as a sweetener instead of proccessed sugars. I already had that in my cupboard, but I have always put it in my margaritas (I make an amazing margarita!). Even my 5 year old son now loves it on his waffles in the mornings.

This morning I had my new favourite breakfast which was vanilla flavored greek yogurt with cut up fresh strawberries and I topped it with Bare Naked Fit - Vanilla Almond Crunch. My sister-in-law, who has a lot of health issues when it comes to foods, accidently left it at my house one day and I confiscated it because it is seriously delicious. I love it in salads and I know this may sound weird, but it tastes great with balsamic vinager as a salad dressing.


I rushed through my lunch but I made a great salad of anything I could find in the fridge. It consisted of kale, spinach, leeks, tomatos, cucumber, carrots and sunflower seeds with lemon juice as the dressing. I also had a few walnuts I had cracked earlier and snacked on them a little bit until my 3 year old son stole them. I didn't argue as he is the pickiest eater you could ever meet. Still, I should look for new and quick recipies to have when rushing.



We had a busy day so by dinner my stomach sounded like a wild animal. The family stopped at Moe's Southwest Grill and picked up food to take home. Normally, I would chow down on two chicken tacos but I resisted! I planned to make something wholesome for myself at home but when we arrived there, my husband found he was missing his queso so I was elected to go back and get it. This meant I had to wait even longer for my food! By the time I arrived back home, the queso was calling my name so I wolfed it down with some chips and with homemade roasted pepper salsa. Yes, I love salsa and eat it most every day.

Before bed, I snacked on another vanilla greek yogurt (time to go grocery shopping again) but with fresh cranberries and the vanilla almond crunch. My first job was at a frozen yogurt bar where I had to mix the fruit or candies into the yogurt. My favorite concoxion was cranberries and orange. I know it seems odd, but it was so fresh and tangy! I haven't had cranberries in such a long time that I forgot how flavorful they were. It seems that with this month-long experience of mine that I am revisiting a lot of foods that I used to enjoy but have long forgotten.


I want to recommend this adventure of mine to anyone who is looking to get out of their rut. Get out of the fast-food cycle and rediscover some pretty amazing and HEALTHY foods. I am so excited each day to see what new things I can make, what flavors I can mix and how it all makes me feel. No heavy, bloated stomachs. No fatigue. No difficult trips to the bathroom.... yeah I know you didn't want to know, sorry. Still, this experience has been so much fun and I am looking forward to much, much more of it.

Thank you for stopping by. Have a wonderful and restful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment