Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Better Quality of Life

In tabulating how much money I have been spending in the past month due to my new vegetarian diet, it doesn't look good. I have saved money when it comes to fast foods but realistically, fast food is relatively cheap. Instead, I am buying fresh fruits and vegetables regularily. I have chosen to buy a variety of different foods that I had never tried before and so my grocery bill has been a lot higher. This has been a challenge as we are a large family of 5 with only one income. I anticipate the grocery bill going down now that I have a better idea of what I like, what I can make and what is avaliable.

Eating out has become a bit of a challenge for me now. I have to boycot my favourite Greek restaraunt as I don't think I could stop myself from eating my favorite food (domaldes). Yesterday, we went to a local taco place and there was NOTHING vegetarian on the menu but chips and salsa. How incredibly disappointing! We have been regular customers of thers for years. In this restarunt, the customers are encouraged to paint and decorate the ceiling tiles and I painted one for my husband on our anniversary 4 years ago. It's still there and we still sit under that tile. I would really hate to have to lose another favourite place.

This challenge of eating better and being more concerned about what I eat has helped change other aspects of my life. I have always sporatically exercised on the elliptical at home but only at most once a week. Now, I workout every day and have even taken my kids out jogging together with me (which they loved and I am still walking like a penguin 2 days later).

Our society in North America is so sick. Stop and take a look around. Think about what we eat and how we live our lives. Now compare it to any other country. We don't exercise, we eat processed foods that isn't even food and then rely on magic pills to make our problems all better. It is just stupid! An American friend of mine recently moved to Mexico and is living in a small village in the mountains. While living here in the Uniter States, she was overweight, ate McDonalds chicken nuggets every other day, never walked more then across a parking lot. Now 6 months later she is at a healthy weight, her hair is shiny, her skin is glowing, she is happy and has never looked better. She is only able to eat locally grown and homemade meals. In just 6 months she is a whole new person! That is so powerful. It just takes a little effort for a lifetime of happiness free from excess weight, health problems and enjoy a better quality of life. I want that. I think I can do it. What is just a few months of effort for a lifetime of happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment