Saturday, November 17, 2012

30 Day Review

I did not start this blog on the first day of my vegetarian diet. I started this a few weeks later when I had the time and a little experience in what to eat instead of meat. I officially began my vegetarian diet on October 16th so this means I made it through my goal of 30 days that I planned to stick to. Now it is time to review how my world, body and viewpoints have changed.

In the past month I have not seen any weight loss but I have never really had a problem with my weight so I wasn't expecting much of a change. I have lost inches and toned up but I have also been actively exercising. I have had less problems with fatigue but am finding my endurance while excercising has gone down temporarily and now going up again.

I am happy to say that I feel lighter. I am not bloated or uncomfortable now after my meals even when my stomach is full. I really enjoy this feeling. Truthfully, I feel younger and more able to just "get up and go" when I need to.

I have been keeping track of my calories. Before this month, my average intake was about 1500-2000 calories a day. Now, my caloric intake has been between 500 and never any more than 1300. Still, I have maintained the appropriate nutrients for my body such as protein and vitamins. I see no reason to eat meat for nutritional value as it really has none.

I am very proud of the choices I make with all foods now. A vegetarian diet can contain fried foods, processed sugars, white flours and so forth but as I have become more conscientious and aware of what I am putting in my body, I have been more aware and concerned about the quality of foods I eat as well. I choose whole wheat breads, no fried foods and make an effort to not include meals with processed sugars. My outlook on food has taken on a life of its own, beyond not just eating meat. Previously, I didn’t think twice about running to McDonalds or Sonic and grabbing a burger, fries, sodas and a side of mozzarella sticks or something. Now I feel the need to know where my food is coming from, how it is made and how it can help or hurt my body as well as hurt the ecological world.

I have not changed my children's diets. I allow them to eat the same foods as before. I cook the same foods that they enjoy. Still, I have a large variety of fruits and vegetables in my house now and they are interested. For their afterschool snacks, they used to come home and beg for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies or chips. Now they beg for cucumber slices, kale chips, green apples or berries. Dinner time, they ask for salads along with their meals and eat more of that than the main course. My 3 year old son is a horrible eater and enjoys mainly french fries, oatmeal and scrambled eggs. I am so proud to see him be willing to try new things and enjoy them. He now likes nuts and hummus even! Also, my husband has gained a few pounds since we have been married (11 years this past September) and my food choices have been giving him an added incentive to find new and nutritious foods to eat. He is on the road a lot and so finding healthy foods on the go has been a challenge but I am proud to see the choices he is making.

The new foods I have been discovering have been the biggest thrill to me. I get so excited when I can buy and make something I have never had before. This past month, I have tried fennel, kale, forelle pears, leeks, dandelion leaves, Greek yogurt, quinoa and I have fallen head over heels for Tofurky Italian Sausage. It is so exciting to find new recipes and try new combinations of foods that make such new and unique flavors. I have always hated cooking because it is too tedious to spend hours preparing meals that are quickly consumed and forgotten as if there is nothing to show for all the hard work. Now, I have been spending most of my time in the kitchen inventing different combinations of new and exciting tastes and textures.

I have done a lot of research into animal welfare and what they go through and have done to them while being bred to be consumed and I am disgusted. Now I look at chicken meat in the supermarket and want to cry or throw up. It is not even how they are treated but the hormones and chemicals that they are injected with. I am terrified to put those things on my body now!

I am very surprised that this change has not been difficult. I was afraid that my stomach would constantly be rumbling and that I wouldn't have any choices. I live in a very meat-dominated area. We are right along the Gulf of Mexico so fresh fish is a staple. We are in the South, in an area that glorifies football and tailgating. Also, we are in the same city as 2 air force bases and so there are many carnivorous "manly men" everywhere and so must supermarkets and the like tailor to this type of clientele. Thankfully Publix has been a beacon of light with some incredible, unique vegetarian products.

Currently, I am studying business in college with no clue as to what field I would see myself in one day after graduation. Last semester did a project in LEED design (Green construction) and now that I am being more aware of the environmental world around me with this experiment of mine, I have started contemplating going into a "green" field of study. It is a fast growing career field today and it does interest me. I still have a long way to go before graduation but it is comforting to have an idea of where I can see myself in the future.

I currently have no desire to go back to eating meat. I do enjoy how I feel and have no guilt as to what is going into my body. I do miss my dolmades from my favorite restaurant (beef and rice wrapped in grape leaves). I have always loved boneless chicken wings with buffalo sauce dunked in blue cheese dressing and I will be mourning the loss of that too. However, I feel losing just 2 things from my diet also equates to adding countless new and exciting healthy choices. I have no regrets.

Next step, veganism for a month? Possibly. Not yet. I am happy with who I am, what is in my body and how I view the world. Thank you very much for coming to my blog and joining me on this journey. I will be continuing it to showcase what I am learning so feel free to stop by anytime.

Have a wonderful and healthy day.
 
New type of pears. Cute but too squishy
 
I put the leftover quinoa in a pita with leeks, spinach, celery and tomatos with some lemon juice. Was good but was missing something... haven't figured out what yet....
 
In the South, we eat a lot of collard greens but I only knew how how cook them with ham and grease. I attempted to make them with sunflower seeds instead and it was GROSS! Later, I found a recipe to make them with garlic and onion and they were the best greens I have ever had in my life! I will be making this again ASAP!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment