Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chili Relleno & Pumpkin Cupcakes

So I decided to cut out eggs from my diet, to the best of my ability. I think I would end up eating things that have eggs in the ingredients (noodles etc) but I am going to see if I can keep my foods that I prepare to be egg free. In this new outlook, I needed to find a new breakfast as I LOVE omelets. I had a pretty busy morning so I grabbed a Greek yogurt, cut up a couple strawberries, tossed some sunflower seeds on top and I was good to go. It was wonderful but wasn't very satisfying unfortunately.


 
For lunch, some friends took us to a new authentic Mexican restaurant. I LOVE chili relleno but sometimes it is prepared with meat, so I asked (and even though I speak Spanish and ASKED in Spanish, the waiter still replied in English. Little insulting. My Spanish isn't that bad!). He promised me there was no meat. Chili relleno is stuffed chili peppers with cheese, sometimes meat and sometimes veggies. My peppers were filled with cheese, spices and sauce. They were WONDERFUL! The only upset was that my lunch special also came with a taco (which wasn't mentioned by the waiter or in the menu). Usually I would enjoy the additional surprise but it was a beef taco. I was rather disappointed that I couldn't eat it but my meal was also came with simple spiced rice and fresh salsa with chips.
 
My lunch was very filling. Most likely because of the cheese and I have to admit, I did not like the heavy feeling in my stomach. I love how I feel satisfied but still light after my vegan recipes or even the vegetarian ones.
 
I spent the afternoon glued to my chair and doing homework (and mindlessly surfing the Internet). I took breaks and cut up another pumpkin I had bought and made some more roasted pumpkin seeds. I had to fight my husband for them.
 
I didn't bother eating dinner. I was too full from lunch and the afternoon snack. Still, by the evening I had all this pumpkin and had no idea what to do with it so I made vegan pumpkin cupcakes and pumpkin pie. I have never made either so it was an experiment. The pie was so bad, won’t even go into detail but the cupcakes were the best thing I have ever made in my life! I had bought a spiced cake mix, cut the water and oil in half and instead of egg I used pureed pumpkin and baked as directed. They were so light fluffy and indescribably fantastic!!!! I topped with icing and walnuts and had to stop myself after eating 2.


 
I am proud of myself that I am doing so much more cooking. I hate cooking. Have I mentioned this? I hate doing all the work and after the food is eaten, I have nothing to show for it but I am actually enjoying creating new and healthy things for myself and my family. I am also enjoying not daily going to buy greasy fast food. My wallet is a little fuller as well. I would normally spend between $5-$10 per fast food meal when I can get the ingredients for a vegan meal that would last for 3 days for $8!

Thank you to everyone that has stopped by. Have a fabulous night and remember the clocks change back tonight!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment