Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pomegranate Love

Can you believe this lunch of mine? It started as breakfast but as any mother would know that once I started to do something for myself then the kids then wanted, needed, ahhhhh help. So here it is 12:26 and I am finally sitting down for my breakfast that became lunch.
This is cantaloupe and a salad of kale, spinach, carrots and pomegranate seeds with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I was so disappointed that I ran out tomatoes, my cucumber went mushy and my avocado went bad. I was planning to make an avocado dressing with lemon juice, oil and dill so I am slightly disappointed but my meal is amazing nonetheless.

A few days ago I made the trip to Fresh Market with the kids. There they had pomegranates on sale! Excitement! I have been wanting some for a while now. Here is a confession: I had never eaten pomegranate seeds in my life. I know, I know. I love pomegranate tea and drinks but never actually had the fruit. I have been watching the prices on them and it was just too ridiculous for me to spend so much money. So I waited. When I saw them at Fresh Market on sale, I scooped them up. When I brought them home and cracked them open, my family went mad. My daughter said they tasted like candy and ate almost all of them herself in one sitting. Thank goodness I had more. There are so any health benefits to pomegranates. Veggi-rific Living on Facebook just did an article about them. I will definitely be heading back to Fresh Market very soon to get some more.

My kids loved Fresh Market as well and have been asking to go back. I let them each pick something for themselves and they all decided on cantaloupe. I think my healthy eating may be having an effect on them. For instance, this morning my daughter had grapefruit, pomegranate seeds and cantaloupe for breakfast! My 3 year old that only eats cereal and other sugary carbs actually willingly ate a bite of cantaloupe before eating his cereal (yes, this is huge progress). My husband seems to be enjoying the foods around here as well but also has had more than the usual trips to KFC. As long as there is KFC original recipe chicken, my husband will never become a vegetarian. I'll settle for a healthier lifestyle.

All around, things are looking up and looking healthier. I am over 3 months in to my vegetarian life and still loving it. My 30 day goal was the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I want to strongly encourage everyone to just try it for 30 days, that's it! It isn't a long period of time and honestly easier than I thought it would be. Take just 30 days to change your life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment