Thursday, December 20, 2012

Opting out of my favourite food

I have pasted the true test of my new diet. My favorite food is dolmades from a local Greek restaurant that my best friend and I visit often. Dolmades are rice and beef wrapped in grape leaves and then they top it with this amazing sauce. I have had dolmades other places but no one makes them as well as they do. I have been purposely avoiding this restaurant because I wasn't sure I would have the self-control but after my last final exam this semester, my best friend and I went there to celebrate. While driving there, I was contemplating eating dolmades because after all, there is no hard-set rule saying I CAN'T eat meat. Really, it is just a choice I made for myself. I will not burn in eternal damnation if a morsel of meat passes my lips. Still, when I sat down, I perused the menu and asked questions. We had our favorite waitress and so I told her I began a vegetarian diet and so she was a great help. I didn't want to tell her I was vegetarian and then forget everything I just said and order meat! This gave me the self-control to try something new. I ordered spanikopita (cheese and spinach in a flaky crust) and a Mediterranean salad and opted out of the egg on top. WOW! The salad was lettuce, feta, cheese, olives corn, dill and a little onion. They gave me a homemade dill salad dressing that was a perfect touch! I could barely finish it! This gave me hope that I can survive being a vegetarian even when I have always loved meat options.
 

My next step is to go to a Thai restaurant and maintain the vegetarian diet. I know that they would offer some great choices but I have always loved Thai beef salad and curry chicken over rice. This is a fun experience not settling for the same old thing and trying new, exciting options.
 
Thanks for stopping by. Have a fabulous day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment