Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fennel Fiasco

Today was very adventurous if I say so myself. I had my usual coffee for breakfast as my eyes just don't open until I have finished a pot of my favorite Gevalia Mocha coffee with Irish Cream creamer (yum!). I am the master of breakfast making but I don't make it for myself very often. I will say, the best breakfast in the world is my egg white omelet with spinach, jalapenos, cheese (usually anything white) and fresh homemade green salsa. I am salivating just thinking about it!

So anyways, on to lunch. I decided to throw whatever I had in my fridge into a salad. Vegetarianism for beginners is salad. Easy enough. I used kale, fresh spinach, parsley, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. VERY YUMMY! (I had never even heard of kale before this experiment of mine but I’m loving it). My salad was surprisingly filling! I had an apple I was planning to eat as my dessert but I didn't have any room for it all afternoon. This was a pleasant surprise.



By dinner time, my husband was home and asking what these weird foods were that I had in the house. When I first told him my plans to be a vegetarian for a month, his reaction was "Well, just as long as I can still eat my chicken and whatever else". No biggie. We have always had very opposite tastes and I have had to cook different meals for each of us since we were first married. I like very intense flavors. I like the spicy, the sweet, the sour and he likes the savory soul food. He could live off fish, chicken and peanut butter when I could eat anything if it had salsa on it.

So back to dinner. That afternoon I bought radishes and fennel. I have never had fennel in my life and I had no idea what to do with it. I have downloaded an app for my tablet called "Healthy Meals" and looked up fennel recipes. It seemed like you can put fennel in anything but I hit the jackpot when found a simple salad of just radishes, fennel, lemon juice and salt and pepper. I had all the ingredients so I gave it a try. The fennel smelled amazingly fresh and I was looking forward to trying this. Boy was I was disappointed with the taste. I had no idea that fennel tastes like black licorice. BLEH! Seriously, just like black licorice and I H-A-T-E black licorice. Oh well. Live and learn. I will be looking up more recipes for fennel as I still have a bulb left. Maybe if I find a decent way to cook it, then the flavor won’t be so strong.



For dinner I also made my husband some lemon chicken with herbs. I don't mind making him meals with meat in it. Eating meat or not eating it is a personal choice.

I made a potato soup for myself. I had a mix already that was pretty simple made by Cugino's. I have had their french onion soup before which is pretty great so I thought this was a safe bet. I added some radishes, kale, green onion (only had a little left so I threw it in there) and red onion. By then, the soup was tasty but boring so I added salt, pepper and a little chili powder. YUM! My only downfall was I needed to cut the kale up smaller as it was a pain to chew it. The radishes were a perfect addition.


So, all together, I had potato soup and the fennel salad for myself. My 7 year old daughter wolfed down 2 bowls of the soup. My husband ate half of his chicken and a bowl of soup. My 3 year old son ate 3 bites of the chicken, licked the soup and said it was good but he didn't want it (pickiest eater in the world). My 5 year old slept through it all as he is sick with a cough and ear ache.

Day 2 of vegetarianism is going good. My tummy is happy and full. I feel great and am so excited about what I can come up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment